Sunday, October 17, 2010

Customizing the looks of your Ubuntu desktop

After using the standard Ubuntu desktop layout for a while I found myself wanting a different look. And contrary to Windows or OSX the look of your desktop can be customized completely.

Every icon, bar, panel or window can be changed. Of course it's kind of a hassle if you'd have to do all this by yourself.

Although I don't like Apple's closed source business strategy, I do like it's design. So I made my Ubuntu Maverick look like OSX.

There's a very easy way to do this: MacBuntu.
Download, run the install.sh script and your Ubuntu desktop looks just like a Mac desktop, including the dock at the bottom of the screen. I have to mention I tweaked this install script a bit because I wanted to use Avant window navigator (available in the Ubuntu Software center) instead of docky. (I deleted all lines that were are related to Docky). Furthermore I did not want my top panel to change. Apple uses "global panel" a top panel that changes according to the application that is active. I've tried that on Ubuntu in the past and it wasn't a great success. I blocked the lines that are responsible for changing the panel set-up.

This is what my desktop looks like now:

You even get the sweet animations when minimizing a window:

Let me know what you think of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment